Saturday, January 27, 2007

Successful Learning Experience

My most recent successful experience was when I pulled together a large group of individuals with different areas of responsibilities to try to improve and standardize a process that involves all of them. Wow. That sentence was a bit long. Anyway, even though I was called the "champion" of the improvement exercise, I saw my role more as a facilitator. I think it was succesful in that we all learned how the whole process flowed. That was a big goal of mine. I wanted everyone to understand what everyone else did and why. It helped us reduce flow time and eliminate some non-value added work. I think it worked because it was not my job to bark orders but to stimulate dialogue and ideas. That doesn't mean I didn't provide structure. I kind of provided a road map but gave them the flexibility to figure out how to get there.

No comments: